|KHALSA JI, URGENT ACTION ALERT|
UNITED SIKHS is working with Congressman Mike Honda on a letter that his office is sending to the French Government. This letter expresses the United States’ concern over the proposed French ban on articles of faith in public schools.
Khalsa Ji, please immediately contact your representative in the U.S. House of Representatives and encourage them to sign this letter to the French Government.
As of today, 42 members of the U.S. House of Representatives have signed Congressman Honda’s letter. The names are listed below. CHECK TO SEE IF YOUR MEMBER OF THE U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES HAS SIGNED THE LETTER. IF NOT, CONTACT YOUR CONGRESSMAN ASAP!
To determine your representative’s name and contact information, please go to <http://www.house.gov/> and type in your zip code. The name of your representative will appear on the following webpage. Click on the name to find out their contact information.
Khalsa Ji, when you call your representative, please follow these steps:
1. Kindly introduce yourself.
2. Let them know that you live in the representative’s district.
3. Kindly Say: "I am calling in regards to a letter that Congressman Honda’s Office has been circulating for all members of the House to sign."
4. Let them know that the letter is regarding the proposed French ban on articles of faith in public schools.
5. Kindly request that you want your representative to sign this letter.
6. Due to the ricin scare, please state that the letter was e-mailed to your representative’s office from Congressman Honda’s office.
7. State the letter is written requesting the French Government not to enact a ban on articles of faith in public school.
8. State that if the French ban is enacted it will result in Sikhs not being able to wear their turbans to schools. State that the turban is required by the Sikh faith.
9. State in addition, that the ban will not allow Muslims to wear their hijabs, Christians to wear crosses and Jews to wear yarmulkes.
10. Please say: "The French assembly is presently considering the proposed ban. Now is the time to act."
11. Kindly request your representative to sign the letter.
To find out information more information about what UNITED SIKHS is
doing to fight the proposed French ban on articles of faith, please
Members of the U.S. House of Representatives that have already signed Congressman Honda’s letter are the following:
37)Scott, Robert C.