Hurricane Irene Update: Disaster Assistance Resource Guide

 Sep 201, New York, NY:  To help people locate assistance for needs caused by Hurricane Irene.  2-1-1 Adirondack Region is responsible for updating and distribution of the Disaster Assistance Resource Guide, Adirondack Region.  For up-to-date information on this guide, visit (updated daily). 


This resource guide is intended to help people locate assistance for needs caused by Hurricane Irene.  2-1-1 Adirondack Region is responsible for updating and distribution of this guide. All suggestions, corrections, and information on how to make this a better resource for both victims of disaster and helping organizations that serve them are welcomed and should be sent to 2-1-1 via Please note that this guide is organized by general services, by county, and in certain circumstances, by town or city.

 RECOVERY SERVICES: Programs & Agencies

 If you have been affected by Hurricane Irene in the Adirondack, please dial 2-1-1 or 1-888-774-0289 to find out what disaster related services are available in your area, 8 am – 8 pm, 365 days a year. In addition, 2-1-1 provides comprehensive information and referral services to the Adirondack Region or visit for up-to-date information.

American Red Cross Assistance

American Red Cross relief focuses on meeting the immediate emergency disaster-caused needs of individuals and families.

Adirondack Region (Clinton, Essex & Franklin): (518) 561-7280

American Red Cross National Hotline: (866)-GET-INFO (866-438-4636)

American Red Cross Blood Services: (800)-REDCROSS (800-733-2767) or visit



FEMA provides funding and assistance to local residents (renters and homeowners) and businesses who have sustained loss of or damage to property that is not covered by insurance. Contact your insurance company first: If you are NOT covered for the storm damage by your insurance company, you may be eligible for federal aid. You will need to obtain a letter from your insurance company saying you are not covered for damage from the storm.

The aid is available to citizens, non-citizen nationals, and qualified aliens. Qualified aliens include those with legal permanent residence (shown by green cards). Their status will not be jeopardized by requesting disaster assistance.

A minor child who is a citizen, non-citizen national or qualified alien can have a parent or guardian who is not eligible apply for assistance on the child’s behalf. No information will be gathered on the adult’s status.

The status of qualified alien includes:

ü     legal permanent residents (those with green cards),

ü     those with refugee or asylum status,

ü     those whose deportation has been withheld,

ü     those on parole into the U.S. for at least one year for humanitarian purposes,

ü     those with conditional entry,

ü     those who are Cuban-Haitian entrants,

ü     and those with petitions for relief based on battery or extreme cruelty by a family member.

The application for assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) requires applicants to certify that they are either citizens, non-citizen nationals or qualified aliens. FEMA conducts random audits of applications to verify U.S. citizenship and qualified alien documentation issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service. However, assistance can be given as long as someone in the household is entitled to it, and no information will be gathered regarding the status of others in the household.

 Individual Assistance (IA): Assistance to individuals and households which will allow them to file for federal assistance. Applications can be submitted by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362), or filing on-line by logging onto Hearing impaired individuals using TTY may call 1-800-462-7585.These phone lines are available from 7 AM to 10 PM seven days a week until further notice.

Counties eligible for Individual Assistance

  • Clinton
  • Essex


In addition, it is recommended to have the following information ready when applying for assistance:


  • Your Social Security number
  • Current and pre-disaster address.
  • A description of your losses that were caused by the disaster.
  • Insurance information.
  • Directions to your damaged property.
  • A telephone number where you can be contacted.
  • Total household annual income
  • A routing and account number from your bank (only necessary if you want to have disaster assistance funds transferred directly into your bank account).
  • After you’ve completed your application for assistance, you will receive a FEMA application number. Write down this number and keep it for future reference.

FEMA Assistance for Immigrant Families

FEMA helps the household, therefore if anyone in the household qualifies (a child born on the US, or a parent with a green card), then the family would qualify for help.

Post-Application Process:

If an inspection is required to process your application, an inspector will contact you to make an appointment to visit your property and assess the damage about 10 days after your application has been filed.

Within about 10 days of the inspector’s visit, you will receive a letter from FEMA informing you of the decision on your request for help. FEMA will mail you a copy of your application and an applicant’s guide that will answer many of your questions.

If you are eligible for help, the letter will be followed by a U.S. Treasury/State check or there will be a transfer of cash to your bank account. The letter will explain what the money can be used to pay for. You should use the money given to you as explained in the letter.

  • If you are not eligible for help, the letter will give the reason for the decision. You will be informed of your appeal rights in the letter from FEMA.

What to do if FEMA Assistance is denied:

A denial letter does not necessarily mean that an applicant is ineligible for assistance. It may mean that the information provided is incomplete. Make sure that clients have submitted sufficient documentation of identity, ownership and disaster damage. Complete and return the US Small Business Administration loan application. For information on how to appeal a denial letter go to

To Report False Damage Claims:

If you suspect someone is filing false damage claims please report it to (800) 323-8603

Public Assistance (PA): Assistance for emergency work and the repair or replacement of disaster-damaged facilities.

Counties eligible for public Assistance

  • Essex

Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HM): (Assistance for actions taken to prevent or reduce long term risk to life and property from natural hazards): All counties in the State of New York are eligible to apply for assistance under the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program.


FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers: Disaster Recovery Centers (DRCs) are open to assist individuals, households, and businesses affected by Tropical Storm Irene. Residents are encouraged to register with FEMA before visiting a center.

At the DRC visitors can expect to:

  • Receive information about different types of state and federal disaster assistance
  • Get help completing low interest loan applications from the US Small Business Administration for homeowners, businesses, and renters.
  • Inquire about the status of applications for federal assistance
  • Possibly receive referrals to agencies for unmet needs
  • Learn cost-effective mitigation measures to reduce the impact of future disasters.

Essex County: Town Hall, 11 School Street, Au Sable, NY 12912 from 8:00 am to 800 pm

Essex County: Moriah Fire Station, 630 Tarbell Hill Road, Moriah, NY 12960 from 8:00 am to 800 pm

Clinton County: Mooers Town Hall/Fire Station, 2508 Rt. 11, Mooers, NY, from 8:00 am to 800 pm (MOBILE)

Disaster Loans (SBA): Provides low interest loans to homeowners, renters, and businesses of all sizes and private, non-profit organizations to repair or replace real estate, personal property, machinery, and equipment, inventory, and business assets that have been damaged or destroyed in a declared disaster. Homeowners may be eligible to borrow up to $200,000 for real property.  Renters and homeowners may borrow up to $40,000 for replacement of disaster-damaged property.  Businesses may apply for up to $2 million for losses not fully covered by insurance.  SBA loans are made for the repair or replacement of real or personal property, transportation or rental of equipment to help with recovery, and economic loss.  The loan application process can be obtained by calling the SBA Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955 (800-877-8339 for the deaf and hard-of-hearing) or by sending an e-mail to Those affected by the disaster may also apply for disaster loans electronically from SBA’s website at The filing deadline to return applications for physical property damage is October 31, 2011. The deadline to return economic injury applications is May 31, 2012.

Counties eligible for both Physical and Economic Injury Disaster Loans from the SBA:

  • Essex

Counties are eligible to apply only for SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loans:

  • Clinton
  • Essex

NYS Insurance Claims: If you have homeowner’s insurance and sustained any damage, start collecting documents to support any claim. Flood damage is often not covered under many policies.The NYS Insurance department opened Hurricane Irene information hot line from 8 AM to 8 PM, 1-800-339-1759 or visit for more information.

Replacement Food Stamp Benefits

Food Stamp households that have lost food due to flooding and or power outages may be eligible for replacement food stamps, please contact NOEP (Nutrition Outreach and Education Program Coordinators:


contact NOEP (Nutrition Outreach and Education Program Coordinator) @ 518-436-8757 @112 or or by e-mail

Clinton, Essex, Franklin

New or Replacement Social Security Cards (SSI, SSD)

Anyone receiving Social Security payments (or SSI, SSD) that have been interrupted can go to any Social Security office to get an emergency payment. For information about changing mailing addresses, obtaining a new card, direct deposit or locating a nearby SS office, Call (800)772-1213.

Unemployment Assistance

Federal Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) may be available for individuals, including the self-employed, who are unemployed as a direct result of the damages caused by a natural disaster, man-made disaster or terrorist attack. Call 1-888-209-8124 and apply for DUA over the phone. The deadline for DUA applications is October 3, 2011.

Household Appliance Grant Program

New York State Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services Offers an appliance grant program for New York state residents who sustained property damage due to Hurricane Irene and Tropical Storm Lee.  The program will help cover the cost of replacing vital household appliances, such as refrigerators, boilers, hot water/heater tanks, washing machines, dryers, dehumidifiers, and furnaces damaged by flooding.  Purchase of appliances and equipment must be for replacement purposes only and were not covered by insurance or FEMA. To apply call 877-697-6278 or check website:


Boiler (ENERGY STAR):   $2500

Clothes Dryer w/Moisture Senor (Higher Efficiency):  $250

Dehumidifiers (ENERGY STAR): $100


Food Stamps:


In times of disaster it may become very difficult to obtain the resources needed to maintain a healthy and fulfilling diet for your family and yourself.  You may be eligible for Food Stamps.  Places to apply are:


Clinton Department of Social Services (518) 565-3300
Essex Department of Social Services (518) 873-3420
Franklin Department of Social Services (518) 481-1876

Food Stamp eligibility is based on income guidelines:

People in Household

Gross Monthly Income









Each Additional member




Medicaid  (Health Insurance):


In times of disaster it may become very difficult to obtain the resources needed for health insurance. You may be eligible for the Medicaid program.  Places to apply are:

Clinton Department of Social Services

(518) 565-3300

Essex Department of Social Services

(518) 873-3450

Franklin Department of Social Services

(518) 481-1876


Temporary Assistance from the Department of Social Services:


In a major disaster or large-scale emergency, you may qualify for temporary financial assistance to stabilize your current situation and begin to recover.  Places to apply are:

Clinton Department of Social Services

(518) 565-3300

Essex Department of Social Services

(518) 873-3420

Franklin Department of Social Services

(518) 481-1876


Suspension of Federal Student Loans:

If you live in a federally declared disaster area you may temporarily suspend federal student loan payments by contacting the following servicers:

  • Direct Loans – 800-848-0979
  • Federal Family Education Loans – 800-433-3243
  • All borrowers can also contact the Federal Student Aid Ombudsman Program at 877-557-2575 for assistance


Tax Deductions


Property losses from natural disasters are tax-deductible. If you claim a casualty loss resulting from a disaster, you may be asked to show:

·         The kind of disaster and when it occurred

·         The damage that was a direct result of the disaster

·         Proof of ownership of the property

·         Your income tax basis in the property; this is the total value of your home (original cost plus cost of any improvements) minus any depreciation claimed for income tax purposes.

·         Fair market value before and after the disaster

·         Insurance benefits, free repairs, restoration, and cleanup from disaster relief agencies.

Before and after photographs, receipts, canceled checks, deeds, purchase contracts, and professional appraisals are good supporting evidence for casualty claims.  For more information, call the IRS at 1-800-829-3676 or visit for forms and information on how to contact specific units.





Food: Food services are still available to those affected by the flood and volunteers-whether they live in Clinton or Essex County at the AuSable Forks Fire Department for breakfast lunch and dinner.  Serving times are 8 to 9am, noon to 2pm and 5 to 7pm.



Disaster Relief Funds: Assist eligible families with damages/loss incurred as a result of Hurricane Irene.  Items include Medication/Medical Care, Temporary Housing, Rent and Security Deposits, Household Goods/Furniture/Appliances, Food and Clothing, Utilities.

  • JCEO (Joint Council for Economic Opportunity of Clinton and Franklin Counties, Inc. 54 Margaret St, Plattsburgh, NY  12901 (518) 561-6310,  eligible families in Clinton County, Contact JCEO at 518-561-6310
  • Adirondack Community Action Programs, Inc, 4572 Court street Suite 2, PO Box 848, Elizabethtown, NY  12932 or 1-877-873-2979, eligible families in Essex County

Disaster Relief Funds to organizations: The United Way of the Adirondack Region, Inc. is offering mini grants to organizations that help individuals and families with disaster assistance. The disaster relief mini-grants are available to organizations providing direct service to individuals and families that have been affected by the recent disaster in Clinton, Essex, and Franklin Counties.  Priority will be given to organizations providing services that address the unmet needs of storm victims. There are limited funds so it is important for organizations to exhaust all available resources before applying for monies.  The intention of the allotted funds is to provide a safety net for needs that are unmet by insurance agencies, government agencies, and other sources.


The mini-grants can be used for: supplies, repairs, housing expenses, transportation expenses, utility assistance and appliances, health and human service needs and other disaster related expenses.


The application for funds is available at the United Way of the Adirondack Region, Inc. 45 Tom Miller Road Plattsburgh, NY 12901. Please call the United Way office at 518-563-0028 for more information or dial 2-1-1 for additional information and referrals.



Disaster Related Supplies


School Supplies: Town of Jay offers school supplies for children whose homes were damaged due to Hurricane Irene, (518) 647-2204



If you are fortunate enough not to have suffered major damage during Hurricane Irene and would like to help your neighbors through donations of items or monetary donations and or volunteering, contact the agencies listed below


Monetary Donations:


Town of Jay Irene Relief Fund-PO Box 730, AuSable Forks, NY  12912

United Way of the Adirondack Region Irene Relief Fund- Write to the Irene Relief Fund on check and mail to 45 Tom Miller Road, Plattsburgh, NY  12901


Volunteer Opportunities:


Kathy Daggett, Essex County Public Health Department, 132 Water st., PO Box 217, Elizabethtown, NY  12932 (518) 873-3514 or email
Town of Jay is match volunteers with homeowners in need of assistance with Hurricane Irene disaster cleanup, (518) 647-2204.
2-1-1 Adirondack Region for up-to-date information on agencies needing volunteers for special programs. Clinton, Essex, Franklin   Dial2-1-1or



Disaster Relief Training – to help for future emergencies:


American Red Cross National Hotline

(866) 438-4636

American Red Cross – Clinton, Essex & Franklin

(518) 561-7280


Donations of goods:


2-1-1 Adirondack Region for up-to-date information on agencies accepting donations of goods. Clinton, Essex, Franklin   Dial2-1-1or




Mud/Debris Removal and Flood Clean-up

A team of volunteers are available to come to your home to help you with storm damage clean up. Please register by calling dial 2-1-1 or 1-888-774-0289 and then 2-1-1 will complete the NYVOAD (New York Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster) mud-out request form on your behalf. 2-1-1 cannot assure you the work will be done, as the team will have to assess the situation and determine whether it is something they can do.


Mold Clean-Up/Prevention

Learn more about clean up and prevention of mold at


Change of Address Form

Mail change of address forms are available online at or at any US Postal Service location. Please be sure to update any FEMA applications with newest address information.







2-1-1 Adirondack  – for comprehensive information & referral services, 8 am – 8 pm



Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York 100 Court Street

Plattsburgh, NY 12901

(518) 563-4022

One Work Source 194 US Oval, Plattsburgh, NY 12903

(518) 561-0430

Department of Social Services 13 Durkee Street, Plattsburgh, NY 12901

(518) 565-3300

National Alliance On Mental Illness of Champlain Valley 14 Healey Avenue, Suite D, Plattsburgh, NY 12901

(518) 561-2685 ext 17

Veterans’ Service Agency – Clinton County 137 Margaret Street,Suite 106, Plattsburgh, NY, 12901

(518) 565-4720

Office for the Aging – Clinton County 135 Margaret Street, Suite 105

Plattsburgh, NY 12901

(518) 565-4620

Department of Planning – Clinton County 135 Margaret Street

Suite 124

Plattsburgh, NY 12901

(518) 565-4711

Department of Health – Clinton County 133 Margaret Street,

Suite 117

Plattsburgh, NY 12901

(518) 565-4840




2-1-1 Adirondack  – for comprehensive  information & referral services, 8 am – 8 pm



Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York 100 Court Street

Plattsburgh, NY 12901

(518) 563-4022

One Work Source 103 Hand Avenue, Elizabethtown, NY 12932

(518) 873-2341

Department of Social Services 7551 Court Street, Elizabethtown NY 12932

(518) 873-3420

Mental Health Association – Essex County 6096 NYS Route 9N, Westport, NY 12993

(518) 962-2077

Veterans’ Service Agency – Essex County 7551 Court Street, Elizabethtown, NY 12932

(518) 873-3488

Motor Vehicle – Essex County 7559 Court Street, Elizabethtown, NY 12932

(518) 873-3620

Office for the Aging – Essex County 132 Water St, Elizabethtown, NY 12932

(518) 873-3695

Department of Health – Essex County 132 Water St, Elizabethtown, NY 12932

(518) 873-3500





2-1-1 Adirondack  – for information & referral services, 8 am – 8 pm



Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York 100 Court Street

Plattsburgh, NY 12901

(518) 563-4022

One Work Source 158 Finney Blvd, Malone, NY 12953

(518) 481-5755

Department of Social Services 158 Finney blvd, Malone, NY 12953

(518) 481-5755

Mental Health Association – Franklin County 14415 State Route 30, Malone, NY 12953

(518) 521-3507

Veterans’ Service Agency – Franklin County 355 West Main Street, Suite 438, Malone, NY 12953

(518) 481-1540

Office for the Aging – Franklin County 125 Catherine Street, Malone, NY 12953

(518) 481-1526

Department of Health – Franklin County 136 Broadway, Saranac Lake, NY 12953

(518) 891-4471



Other NYS related services:


Child Abuse Hotline

(800) 342-3720

Equal EmploymentOpportunityCommission

(800) 669-4000

NYS Disability Program

(518) 474-6681

Occupational Safety of Health Admin (OSHA)

(800) 321-6742

Social Security Administration

(800) 772-1213

NYS Consumer Protection Board

(800) 697-1220

One Comment

  1. Making it very assert I’m amazed. Quite seldom does a person confront any website which can be each educative and also entertaining. Only want to advise you that you’ve got come to your fingernail within the travel. A idea is actually great. Thx is many When i really have to declare!