Please Be Involved, Click here and Join UNITED SIKHS
To receive forthcoming bulletins join our UNITED SIKHS Yahoo group
To donate go to www.unitedsikhs.org/donate
This Press Release may be read online at: http://www.unitedsikhs.org/PressReleases/PRSRLS-13-04-2007-00.htm
Press Release: 13th April 2007, 31st Chayt (Samvat 539 Nanakshahi)
Atlanta - Georgia, USA: UNITED SIKHS is pleased to announce the launch of project SATL (SIKH AWARENESS THROUGH LIBRARIES) to improve the availability of information on Sikh culture, history and religion via multimedia resources - books, DVDs, CDs and microfilms in public and private libraries including those in schools, universities and other educational institutions, throughout the world.
The objective of the project is to reach out to various demographics through multiple media to provide global access to reliable and complete information on Sikhs.
At present very few libraries carry material on Sikhs and very often the information is highly inadequate, inaccurate or biased. The SATL project will be carried out in two phases. The first phase will involve improving the availability of adequate and authoritative texts in existing libraries. The second phase will involve the setting up of Sikh libraries where there is a significant Sikh population by involving Gurdwaras (Sikh places of worship), Sikh organizations and community centers.
The SATL project gives every Sikh an opportunity to create an awareness of the Sikh identity in the community in which he/she lives. UNITED SIKHS has prepared a recommended list of 'must-read' books and resources and we appeal to every Sikh, wherever he/she may be, to donate books and resources on Sikhs, to their local library, school, university or other education institution. For more details on how to donate books and resources on Sikhs please go to http://www.unitedsikhs.org/sikhlibrary
UNITED SIKHS will continue to update its database on:
1) Public and private libraries, including those at public and private educational institutions, in the participating regions
2) Volunteers who would take on regional coordination and
3) Organizations which wish to be partners in project SATL
1. donate books and resources on Sikhs that are on our recommended list, to your local library, school, university or academic institution;
2. Join UNITED SIKHS and become a volunteer to reach out to various libraries to invite them to participate in project SATL by accepting the books and resources on Sikhs;
3. collate information on inadequacies in current material held at libraries and suggest steps to mitigate the harm done by the inaccurate, biased or inadequate material.
1) Identifying participating libraries by publicising project SATL via press releases to local newspapers, radio and television;
2) Procuring the recommended books and resources on Sikh culture, history and religion for the participating libraries;
3) Dispatching material on Sikh culture history and religion to the participating libraries
UNITED SIKHS SATL Global Project Coordinator
To transform underprivileged and minority communities and individuals into informed and vibrant members of society through civic, educational and personal development programs, by fostering active participation in social and economic activity.
UNITED SIKHS is also an avenue for networking between like-minded organisations to establish and nurture meaningful projects and dialogues - whether social, cultural or political- to promote harmony, understanding and reciprocity in our villages, towns and cities.
UNITED SIKHS is a coalition of organisations and individuals, who share a common vision based on the belief that there is no greater endeavour than to serve, empower and uplift fellow beings. The core of our philosophy is an unwavering commitment to civic service and social progress on behalf of the common good.
Accordingly, UNITED SIKHS has sought to fulfil its mission not only by informing, educating and uplifting fellow beings but also by participating in cross-cultural and political exchanges to ensure that the promises and benefits of democracy are realized by all.
We at UNITED SIKHS believe that the development of enlightened and progressive societies can be made possible by socially conscious groups of people who make a commitment to develop and direct human potential. Our work, efforts and achievements stand as a testament to our faith in this vision.